If my pay is forfeited as a result of my Court-Martial, what happens to my family?

If you are convicted of a crime at a court-martial, it is very possible that your military pay will be forfeited. If you have a family to care for, this could be devastating. In fact, for many of my clients facing a court-martial, this is one of their biggest concerns. Here is a bit of good news. The convening authority of a court-martial has the power to waive some or all of the forfeitures of pay resulting from the court-martial so your family can receive money for up to six months following your conviction. This can make all the difference in the world to a family in this difficult situation. Additionally, it can help to ease the mind of a Soldier, Sailor or Airman faced with a forfeiture of pay after a court-martial. However, the convening authority of a court-martial is only going to grant this type of waiver for a family if the individual convicted is able to demonstrate why his family needs and deserves the money. In other words, a Soldier, Sailor or Airman in this position will need to submit a convincing written request for this type of waiver. I have assisted many of my clients and their families to obtain these waivers following court-martials. If you are facing a court-martial, it is likely that you are confused and maybe even a little panicked about what the future holds. You need someone with experience by your side to help you through this process. I have that experience. Please call me for help. To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-550-1981 for a free consultation.