Can I apply for a discharge upgrade after being discharged as a result of my court-martial?

Posted by: William Cassara On: July 16th, 2013

Yes. However, which board you apply to depends on what type of court-martial sentenced you to a discharge. If you received a bad conduct discharge from a special court-martial within the last 15 years, you may apply to the appropriate service Discharge Review Board. If you received a punitive discharge from a general court-martial, you will have to send your request to the appropriate service Board for Correction of Military Records. To apply to these boards you need to send the appropriate form (DRBs require a DD 293 and BCMRs require a DD 149). However, simply filling out these forms and mailing them will most likely not be adequate. In my opinion, if you are serious about getting your discharge upgraded you need to send a formal brief with supporting evidence. I have a ton of experience putting together these requests and I have gotten great results from these boards for my clients. I have the experience to know what type of evidence is convincing and what type of evidence is not convincing. If you were discharged as a result of a court-martial and are serious about getting your discharge upgraded, give me a call and we can talk about the best course of action for you. Likewise, if you were administratively discharged and would like to get your discharge upgraded, I am here to help. To speak to an experienced court-martial and military defense attorney, call Bill Cassara at 706-550-1981 for a free consultation.

Location : Blog